A great British tradition, meatless Mincemeat to make Mincepies for the holidays! Try to make this recipe a month before using, as it ages it in the jar and gets even better!
Ingredients (for 5 500ml jars)
5 Apples, cut and diced
(you can add a can of cherries too, but i'm not a fan so don't)
2 cups sugar
1 quart water
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup brandy
Zest of one lemon
Zest of one orange
1/2 tablespoon cloves
1/2 tablespoon nutmeg
1 tablespoon allspice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
- add all ingredients into a LARGE saucepan and simmer together for 20 minutes (your whole house will smell fabulous!).
- If you have a stovetop or pressure canner use that to can your jars. If you don't (like me), use the following method - remember this method is NOT safe for vegetables or for meats, just fruits.
- Pack the mixture hot into sterile jars (I boil mine on my stove for 5 minutes)
- Put into an oven set at 150F (put them on a tray as you do get some bubble over!)
- Cook for 2 hours
- Turn off the oven and crack open the door to allow to cool
- Listen for the "pops" of the jars as the lids seal.
The only time i've not had a jar pop from this method is a half filled jar. Any that don't pop though put in the fridge and use up in a few weeks, the mincemeat is still good!
To use -
Make into large or small tarts with shortcrust pastry and enjoy warm with whip cream, brandy butter or ice cream.